Marble & Limestone Care & Maintenance
Fine marble will keep its shine for a long time when given the same basic care and attention you would give fine wood. We recommend you follow the advice below:
- Use coasters under all glasses, especially those with alcohol or citrus juices
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Use hot plates or trivets under hot dishes
- Use cutting boards to cut vegetables, fruits, etc to prevent scratching
- Use placemats or felt bottoms under china, ceramics, silver, etc. to prevent scratching the marble
- Dust mop floors frequently to prevent dulling and foot traffic patterns
- Reseal counters every 2-5 years depending on need.
Marble and Limestone Cleaning
Wash marble with a clean, soft cloth and warm water. For stubborn dirt and grime, a mild, pH neutral, liquid soap may be used. Avoid lemon or citrus based soaps. Marble-specific soaps such as Mira clean are also available. DO NOT use any abrasive cleaners or cleaning pads on marble and limestone. Rinse off soap with clean water to prevent build up. Be sure to read product labels to ensure suitability. For further protection, a clear marble wax (specific for this purpose) may be applied. Follow the instructions carefully.